It’s never too late to get the conversation going.
As a parent or family member, you continue to be the primary influence in your student’s life. This is a great time to talk with your student about alcohol and consent. Our “Start the Conversation” guides provide you with information and tools to help you prepare for these important conversations.
Start the Conversation Guides
In the Consent guide, you’ll find:
- Information about student development, relationships, and communication
- UT Policies
- The definition of consent and common myths about consent
- How consent is affected by substance use
- How to plan the conversation about consent with your student before they leave for college
- Information on consent education programs, as well as campus and online resources
In the Alcohol guide, you’ll find:
- Facts about alcohol and college drinking
- UT Policies
- The importance of discussing your family history of alcohol use
- How to plan and have the conversation about the expectations you have for your student before they leave for college
- Information on risk reduction programs, as well as campus and online resources
Visit the Family Engagement website for more information about parent & family involvement.
Information adapted from: College Parents of America, Phoenix House, & The University of Tennessee Student Health Center