Coping and resiliency aren’t just buzzwords. The ability to rest and recover from setbacks affects mental health. Believing you can learn and grow from hardship can give you an optimistic perspective that can help you get through a difficult situation.
Become aware of your emotions and develop healthy coping strategies for emotional regulation and self-care. Allow yourself to effectively communicate your wants, needs, and emotions with others, and set healthy boundaries. Identify your network of supportive people you can ask for help with when you need it.
Emotional Wellness In and Out of the Classroom
For Faculty and Staff, working with a student daily we can become the first point of contact when a student is in need of support resources as it relates to their mental health. The volunteer community should become familiar with the signs and symptoms of mild, moderate, or severe mental health struggles. This will help us to better understand and refer students to services on campus.
- Utilize bulletin board to highlight mindfulness and digital apps
- Recognize stressful times throughout the semester (i.e. midterms, finals, etc.) and plan accordingly
- Going for a walk in nature
- Playing music that makes you happy
- Talking with family, friends, faculty, and/or staff that you trust
If you are experiencing and emergency please call 911.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources.
Mobile Crisis: 865-539-2409
- A 24/7 response team for those who are experiencing a mental health emergency
- Center for Health Education & Wellness
- Student Counseling Center
- UT Psychological Clinic: 865-974-2161
- VOLink – Health and Wellness
Stress Management Resources:
Helen Ross McNabb: 865-523-8695
Cherokee Health Systems: 865-544-0406
Mental Health Association of East TN: 865-584-9125
All Ages Counseling: 865-523-9163
Omni Community Health: 865-525-0391
K-Town Youth: 865-523-0701
Intercept Youth Villages: 865-560-2595